Mahoosuc Mountain Search and Rescue will be hosting the 2017 MASAR conference in Newry at the Hurricane Island Outward Bound Newry Mountain Center on Saturday May 20th.
This training will focus on a realistic approach to real world searches. The day will begin with workshops and culminate in a complex field exercise.
In groups that participants select according to their previous training and experience, we will review the practical skills needed for efficient and effective search and rescue. Prior to the field exercise, workshops will be conducted, topics to include:
- Basic and advanced grid searches, using compass, GPS, smartphone apps
- Leadership and communication (recording, tracking and transferring medical information, multi-team response considerations, and efficient, collaborative decision making in the field)
- Management of clues and evidence
- Choosing resources: personal gear, team equipment, etc.
- Patient packaging for carry if varying terrain, short haul or air evacuation.
A debrief and consolidation of learnings will follow dinner.
The mock SAR will be will be held regardless of weather. Come prepared as you would for an actual search in the foothills in mid-May (consult the MASAR Recommended Minimum Personal Equipment List). Expect to search for and transport a patient over rugged terrain in whatever weather we get.
Meals provided include:
|Saturday, 20 May||0600-0645||Breakfast, and the makings of a field lunch and snacks|
|Sunday, 21 May||0700||Breakfast|
The venue is the Newry Mountain Center of the Hurricane Island Outward Bound School, just off of Sunday River Road in Newry, Maine. The address is 125 Outward Bound Rd, Newry.
Camping is available on site at no additional charge, both Friday and Saturday night. Water and outhouse facilities are nearby. There is limited accommodation in rustic cabins, on a first come, first served basis. For nearby lodging around the Bethel area (about 15 minutes away), see the Bethel Chamber of Commerce website.
The draft schedule for Saturday May 20th:
- 6:00-6:45 - Breakfast / create a bag lunch
- 7:00-7:30 - Sign in
- 7:30-11:00 - Morning sessions
- 11:00-5:00 - Mock searches
- 6:00 - Dinner
- 7:00 - Debrief
- 8:00 - Night navagation for Sunday BASAR practical course participants.
On Sunday an ATV riders course and the BASAR practical test will be offered.